Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

In El Salvador for a week with some awesome Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) youth

So, I find myself in El Salvador aprox 1mo and 1/2 prior to the time that I will come back and stay for a year.  Lucky me, this is my 7th consecutive summer bringing a great group of kids (the YLA) to a place that I have learned to love.  We will be here for a week and our fantastic hosts (Cristosal- whom is the organization I will be working with for my year of medical mission work) have planed an amazing intenarary full of learning about El Salvadorian history (the recent civil war, liberation theology, Oscar Romero, ect.) and plenty of community development and relationship building with some amazing women in El Pital (the community I will be voluntering in when I return in September).

For me, my morning started at 5AM when I woke up and took the shuttle bus with my fellow mentors (best people ever) to the American terminal.  Flew through Miami with the chatter and excitement of 9 teenagers to keep me entertained and arrived in El Salvador around 2pm.  From the airpot we went to the "Museo de La Palabra y La Imagen", a musem that strives to remind people of the recent strife (with the civil war starting in 1980) that the El Salvadorean people went through, in hopes that this recent history will not be forgoten but rembered and effect change towards a more just El Salvador.  There is plenty more to say about the museum but with the 2 hour time change, I am writing this at 12:30AM US time and I'm ready to fall asleep.

After the museum we arrived at Casa de Alexa, which will be our humbel abode for the next 5 nights.  It's really a great place.  Dinner was superb (beef with mushrooms, rice, salad, and home made juice) and now it's bed time.

Hopefully I will have more to say tomorrow.  Sorry for the spelling errors (tried to do spell check and the computer wants to spell check in Spanish, which just turns everything yellow)

No comments:

Post a Comment