Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

More on Photo Albums


So since I’ve been back from Nicaragua, I’ve been very intentional on taking advantage of my weekends and exploring El Salvador and I have the pictures to prove it.  There is one album that was taken prior to my trip to Nicaragua as they are pictures from David Copley and crew’s (Elizabeth and Jason) visit, which I didn’t receive until I arrived back, so I’ll start with that one and then otherwise go in order as they appear in picasa.

David Copley and Crew in El Salvador-  I was very lucky and had a big part of the YASC personnel team come and visit me at the end of April.  Specifically I got to spend three days with David, Elizabeth, and Jason and it was quite a pleasure getting to show them what I’m doing and where I’m working.  They also had the opportunity to spend a whole day traveling around with Bishop Barahona, learning about the work of the Anglican church here in El Salvador and various volunteer opportunities for the future.  I know for me it was quite a treat having them visit and I think overall it was a productive trip.

“Art and FMLN in Suchitoto” & “Despedida in Suchitoto”-  Suchitoto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suchitoto) is a very pleasant old colonial city in El Salvador and I have had the pleasure of visiting it on several occasions.  In the album “Art and FMLN in Suchitoto” you will see images from my friends photography exhibit of various murals throughout El Salvador (she is here as a Fulbright, studying murals in El Salvador) and images from the town wide celebration of the FMLN (the leftist party) victory in Suchitoto.  Check out this link for more information on the FMLN party- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farabundo_Mart%C3%AD_National_Liberation_Front.  Although a bit out order, “Despedida in Suchitoto” also displays some beautiful images in and around Suchitoto, taken as I wishing one of my good friends good bye (despedida means good bye party in Spanish).

Dia Internacional de Trabajador (Labor Day)-  In El Salvador Labor Day is celebrated on May 1, and as the linked article explains (http://www.demotix.com/news/678549/labour-day-celebrations-el-salvador) “in El Salvador, May Day or Labor Day is an annual holiday to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers and has its origins in the labor union movement.”  It was quite an experience, walking with thousands of people, peacefully marching for fair rights for the Salvadoran worker.

Parque Imposible- So when you hear this description “Hasta La luna : An unforgettable journey into the heart of Imposible, truly untouristed and off-the-beaten-track, and swim in a river and its many cascades (6h)”; what do you think of?  Well, I think of adventure and that is indeed what these images display.  We hiked down to the beginning of a set of 8 waterfalls, where we proceeded to jump off cliff edges into the deep waters bellow, continuing are hike in between each waterfall and then at the end hiking all the way back up and out of Parque Imposible.  It was amazing!  To learn more about Parque Imposible and the various adventures that await there, check out this website- http://www.imposibletours.com/en/index.html.

Boquerón-  El Boquerón is the name of the crater in the center of the San Salvador Volcano, smack dab in the middle of the city of San Salvador.  I have to stay it’s quite a treat living in a city and having a volcano that you can hike around and be surrounded by nature and beautiful views (you can pretty much see all of El Salvador) just a few minutes drive away.  See this Wikipedia article for more details about the volcano and the mystery of El Boquerón (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Salvador_(volcano)).

No comments:

Post a Comment