Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Beauty of El Salvador

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted: the next three posts I actually wrote starting two months ago, I just haven't had a chance to get them online.

The Beauty of El Salvador:

When you think about El Salvador, what is the first thing that comes to your head?  That it is the most violent country in the world, that it is over run by gangs and drug trafficking, that it is one of the poorest countries in the world.  All of these facts have truth to them but after living here for three months, they are not the first things that come to my mind.  I think about:

1.  The fact that when I step out my front door, which is in the middle of the city, I look up and I'm surrounded by a beautiful landscape of volcanoes and blue sky.
2.  When I walk onto a crowded bus (which is almost always) and there is no seat to be found, someone who is sitting usually offers to take my heavy bag or coffee mug so I have my hands free to hold on as the bus goes barreling around corners.
3.  The beautiful beaches, including "el barre de santiago" where you can see turtles laying there eggs, crocodiles, birds of varying colors, all of which are protected in a wildlife refuge.
4.  Beautiful sunsets over the ocean, mountains, and volcanoes.
5.  Kind, patient people who teach me how to make tortillas and tamales and always offer me a place to sleep.
6.  Lively, colorful church celebrations with fireworks, pinatas, and plenty of food.
7.  Delicious food (especially pupusas, which are making me a bit gordita), fruit and veggies that you can buy for cheap on almost every corner, and fruit liquados (milkshakes).
8.  Live music and dancing.
9.  Classical music/going to the symphony for only $2
10.  Aerobic dance classes at the gym (salsa, merengue, bachata, reggaeton, hip hop, a mix of everything)
11.  Free independent international films every Friday just down the street.
12.  and much more!

Although El Salvador is not the safest place in the world, it is currently my home and I am learning to love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment